Hey! There's one article about Nujood Ali in today's Kompas newspaper. I suddenly remember about one book that I bought 2 months ago which has title "Saya Nujood, Usia 10 dan Janda" (I'm Nujood, 10, and Divorced). This book is a true story about Nujood Ali's life. Nujood Ali is a little girl who lives in Yaman. When Nujood was 10 years old, she was forced by her Dad to get married with one man that 3x ages from her and she never knew him before. Just imagine! A girl, 10 years old, forced to get married with someone that 3x ages from her and she never knew him before... Well, before Nujood's case appeared to public, it's a common in Yaman for little girls who is under 17 years old to get married (or forced to get married) with man...*sigh*
When I was 10 years old, I never thought about marriage life! I just thought about school, toys, dress, and foods... :D But, when I was 3 or 4 years old, I liked to play being bride. It's because I like the bride gown and bride veil. Hahaha... But just it!
Back to Nujood... After she got help from human rights lawyer named Shada Nasser and the court began, this case got attention from international world. After won this case and Nujood got her divorce, Glamour magazine bestowed Nujood and Shada Nasser as Woman's of the year on November 2008. And also, after Nujood won this case, other girls in Yaman, who was forced to get married in young age began to dare fighting for their life to get divorce. In Kompas today, Hillary Clinton visited Yaman two days ago and mentioned Nujood as her hero.

No comments:
Post a Comment